Skip to main content

The Comforter and Provider

It was one of those nice, late summer days in August. I had spent the whole Saturday with my family. Most of the afternoon we were out on the lake, and my brother had taught me to wake board. The day had been just what I needed. I felt a great sense of joy and peace that only time with loved ones can bring you as I left my parents house to begin the hour and a half drive back to my place. I was mentally at peace, emotionally happy, and physically drained (thanks to my brother, the wakeboard, and the wipeouts).
As I pulled out on to the highway I felt a definite lurch from my car – The White Stallion. I turned off the radio, rolled down the windows, and listened. This was not a new process for me. Actually, it had become a habit for me in The White Stallion which was a 1995 Nissan Altima with over 180,000 miles and a previous owner who had done little in the way of mechanical up keep. I listen and cautiously accelerated paying carefully attention to The White Stallion as it went from 2nd to 3rd gear since this is where The White Stallion always had problems. Nothing. No problems. No noises. I continued driving.
Once I was about 12 minutes from my parents house The White Stallion completely died. As I guided the car to the shoulder of the road, I thought this was it. Suddenly, I see smoke rising from underneath the hood. Great. I popped the hood and sat there a moment stunned. I did not want to bear the burden of car troubles. I was not in the financial position where repair work or looking to buy a car would be fun. Actually, I would have to do some penny pinching if there was a major problem.
As I sat there with a million thoughts racing through my mind, I wanted to cry. How was I going to get back to my place? What was wrong with my car? Could it be fixed? Could I afford it? I wanted to cry as I sat there on that lonely highway. Still, I couldn’t. All I could hear in my head was ‘God Provides’, ‘God is the Great Comforter and Provider’, ‘He provides all our needs’. I couldn’t cry. I couldn’t even be that upset. God provides.

“19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19

I am so grateful that no matter what circumstances any of us face God comforts and provides for us. We only have to seek Him, ask for His comfort and strength, and through faith in Him and His amazing grace He give us all we need. The next two weeks weren’t easy. My wonderful mother drove me home the next morning in time for me to attend church with friends and early enough for her to drive all the way back and attend services at our home church. Friends helped me get where I needed to go. Eventually, The White Pegasus was found (that’s my new-to-me car a 2005, white pearl Nissan Altima!) and purchased. Life keeps going, and God’s grace provides.
In the next few posts I plan to share with you ways that He has provided for me. I hope you’ll come back and visit. Also, if you are experiencing through your faith in God how our Lord comforts and provides, please share in the comments section below. Have a great day! Remember He wants to be your comforter and provider and His grace is always enough!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Fridays

I follow several blogs, but there are only a handful I read daily including Rainmakers and Stormchasers, http://www.jennyrain.com/ . Jenny has a blog friend who does Five Minute Fridays where you write on a given topic for five minutes, post your writing unedited, and encourage others to do the same. Today’s topic was 'Remember'. Here's my unedited five minutes on 'Remember'...(What did you do on your lunch break?).... Remember...  I remember those times… with family and friends… Those long seemingly endless summer days at Memaw’s with my sister, brother, and cousins…I remember waiting on mom to come in for lunch…And those special days when Aunt Barb came too…Oh the days we spent at Aunt Barb’s…I remember loving… Then, there were those mornings before school where we all gathered around the breakfast table…Memaw always prepared a feast…we would argue over who’s turn it was to say the pray…but I remember all the other conversations were so good…I remember gett

Stay and See Jesus for Yourself

Recently during our Wednesday night women's class, we were listening to part of Priscilla Shirer's portion on the DVD series 'Unwrap the Bible'. We hadn't yet made it all the way through Priscilla's portion when I noticed myself writing these words in my notes, 'Stay and See Jesus for Yourself'. Now, I won't steal Priscilla's thunder or her great points. (I couldn't do it justice.) Let me just say, those words I wrote seemed to leap off the page at me: Stay and see Jesus for yourself. How often do I run ahead of God, too often! Still, at some point I seem to remember to come back to Him and ask for mercy, grace, and direction to walk His way instead of my own. How often do I hang back not willing to jump in to something He has for me? I think of a C.S. Lewis quote, 'There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.' I mean that's exactly what Paul tells us, right? For us to live is Christ and to di

Five Minute Fridays

It's time for Five Minute Fridays. No editing, no backtracking, and no over-thinking. Just writing for five minutes on a given topic. Join us. Today's Topic: Grit. Grit is the gumption not only to keep going when times are tough but to keep going with the determination that God knows what is best, and no matter what He will see you through this. The most important part of the endeavor is to realize not only is God leading you through your struggle, but He wants you to lead others, to set a Holy example, to love as Christ loves, and to come out stronger on the other side. Never resenting what you’ve gone through, but being thankful for the grit to keep going. Grit is more than continuing when others would stop. Grit isn’t walking blind or slowly moving through a valley. Grit is climbing towards the mountain top… Pulling others with you as you climb… Carrying more than your own load but that of your sisters’ and brothers’ in Christ... Grit is there when you physically,