Skip to main content

Stay and See Jesus for Yourself


Recently during our Wednesday night women's class, we were listening to part of Priscilla Shirer's portion on the DVD series 'Unwrap the Bible'. We hadn't yet made it all the way through Priscilla's portion when I noticed myself writing these words in my notes, 'Stay and See Jesus for Yourself'.

Now, I won't steal Priscilla's thunder or her great points. (I couldn't do it justice.)
Let me just say, those words I wrote seemed to leap off the page at me: Stay and see Jesus for yourself.

How often do I run ahead of God, too often! Still, at some point I seem to remember to come back to Him and ask for mercy, grace, and direction to walk His way instead of my own.

How often do I hang back not willing to jump in to something He has for me? I think of a C.S. Lewis quote, 'There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.' I mean that's exactly what Paul tells us, right? For us to live is Christ and to die is gain. What keeps us from living Christ?!

How often have I prayed and prayed and prayed... not listening to the Spirit... perhaps even had that prayer delivered but didn't realize it because the answer came in a way I was not prepared for?!

What keeps us from walking with Him? What keeps us from living in Christ? What keeps us from deliverance? From answered prayers? From seeing Him?

If we ask someone to meet us where we are... but then we move... how can we expect them to show up?

Perhaps it is not that I am not walking His way long enough, living for Him hard enough, talking (praying) with Him enough... Perhaps it is I am moving too often. Walking my own way and saying prayers instead of hearing Him in prayer when I am simply called to stay and see Him for myself.

Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tired - Competition

That was it. I was tired.
Not the tired where I will sleep well because my rest was well earned. Not the tired where you’re groggy and just need extra sleep. The restless tired. The dangerous tired. The ‘I am done with this!’ tired. Why? I was tired of competing with multiple screens: a TV, an ipad, 2 phones. Tired of competing with every professional and college sport broadcast – with the exception of women’s sports because we don’t get those on our TV. Tired of competing with presidential news and daily “to do” list that have more weight than US (as a couple). Tired of there always being one more chore before that project I want to get to can be started. Tired of the same ol' same.
In the end I was just tired.
Tired of a world where we have to compete for a loved one’s attention. Tired of competing with society’s mandates. Tired of being a slave to fashion and trends. Tired of competing with society’s warp version of pretty. Tired of competing with a supermodel’s body image.
Mostly, I am tired …

Lines in the Sand

We draw these imaginary lines in the sand… Then, the tide comes and we wonder why we must start again… We build our castle of sand and hope it stands… Then, the tide comes and we are displeased we must build again… We make our own plans as we dream on the shore, Then, the sun sets and we wish for more.
We wish for more time to enjoy the day. We wish our lines in the sand would stay. We wish our castles could be bigger and stronger. We wish our plans would happen now and not take any longer.
We draw these imaginary lines in the sand… Then, the tide comes and we wonder why we must start again… We build our castle of sand again… Then, the tide comes and we are displeased we must build again… We make our own plans as we dream on the shore Then, the sun sets and we wish for more.
We rise the next day and do all of this again.
We work to maintain, a new way we never entertain. We start each day as a new beginning. Always wishing for a new ending.
Yet, we continue to draw our lines in the sand. We build our temp…