Skip to main content

God Provides All Things

For the last several months I have been attending a new church. I know God led me to this church, and I just feel so blessed to be there. I didn’t start attending this church in a time that the members would consider a ‘mountain top’ season. The church body has experienced many challenges in the last several months and to some it has been a season in the valley. To me, it has been uplifting, and I praise God for what He has provided me through the church. I have enjoyed meeting the body of Christ that attends this church. (Sometimes you learn more about people through adversity and a stormy time than you do in a peaceful, sunny one.)
Still, I had not yet been able to tithe at the church. I prayed about it constantly. In my strong attention to detail I knew monthly, even weekly how much money I was supposed to be dropping in the offering plate as it passed by me. I just couldn’t. I prayed about my struggle. I knew it was dangerous to give to the Lord half-heartedly. This was especially difficult for me because God has provided me with a heart of giving. Giving to the Lord and to others has always been a huge strong-hold in my daily life. To go every Sunday and not give was hard. I couldn’t understand why I felt like I was being held back.
Let me be clear that it wasn’t God I was having a hard time giving to. It was finding the way He wanted me to give. There are so many ways I thought I could give monetarily. I could save and go on a mission trip. I could give to the Christian group on my alma mater’s campus that helped me stay close to the Lord in my college years. I could sponsor a child through one of those international programs. I could give anonymously to fellow church members who were having a tough time. Still, none of that felt like it was directed from God. I pray-fully waited for Him to give me a sign.
When my car broke down in August (read more about that in my last post) and I found out I was going to have to find a way to purchase a car, I was not sure how it would ever be possible financially for me. As I began going over my finances, seeking out a small car loan, and looking at what liquid cash I had to put down on a vehicle that was when it hit me. God had provided for me. (My eyes water just thinking about it now.) There was enough money through the last few months of indecisiveness to put down on a car and keep my monthly car payment manageable.
I really prayed hard about this issue and did some serious soul searching. I even asked a close friend if this was a God-thing or total coincidence. In the end, I know God provided for me. He knew what was ahead, and He made it possible for me to make it through before I had any idea of what was happening. The best part of this is (for those of you who care about detail like me) I am able to give the same as I did before I had the responsibility of a monthly car payment.
I am sure some people would debate whether or not withholding your offering for a few months is biblical. Still, I soaked the issue in prayer. Looking back I know God did without my small contribution for a few months in order to provide for both me and Him in the future.
8And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work" 2 Corinthians 9:8
This verse illustrates that God is sufficient in providing all things we need to continue good works in Him. The ability to still give an offering, make a monthly car payment, and have a car (which allows me to drive to work to make money, to drive to church where I can praise God, study His word, and fellowship with His family) is all possible because God is the ultimate Provider.

What has he provided you with?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay and See Jesus for Yourself

Recently during our Wednesday night women's class, we were listening to part of Priscilla Shirer's portion on the DVD series 'Unwrap the Bible'. We hadn't yet made it all the way through Priscilla's portion when I noticed myself writing these words in my notes, 'Stay and See Jesus for Yourself'. Now, I won't steal Priscilla's thunder or her great points. (I couldn't do it justice.) Let me just say, those words I wrote seemed to leap off the page at me: Stay and see Jesus for yourself. How often do I run ahead of God, too often! Still, at some point I seem to remember to come back to Him and ask for mercy, grace, and direction to walk His way instead of my own. How often do I hang back not willing to jump in to something He has for me? I think of a C.S. Lewis quote, 'There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.' I mean that's exactly what Paul tells us, right? For us to live is Christ and to di

Books I Read in 2015

I have always loved biographies and autobiographies. From an early age I sought out books that were true. As I grew older, books that were about real people and how their lives developed continued to capture my attention.  Biographical/Nonfiction <<<< Non-fiction, History, Aviation Science Fiction >>>> Of course, as I read more and more 'real life' stories which are usually about triumphant and success, I become drawn to self help and improvement. A few years ago I realized, all I ever read were self-help and 'real life' books (in addition to the textbooks and other reading materials that correlated with my graduate studies). I had a friend re-introduce Karen Kingsbury to me... and along the way I picked up some Christian Fiction and additional 'chick-lit'. I try to be careful when it comes to these .   Sweet Girl by Rachel Hollis - I enjoy Rachel's blog/website (The Chic Site),