Skip to main content

Time for Everything

I used to really, really dislike the analogy that some people come into our lives just for a reason or a season not everyone is meant to stay in our lives. Then, others are meant to spend a lifetime with us. My thoughts run rapid: Why can’t everyone we love share a lifetime with us? Why do some of the people we care about drift away? Is it really God’s will that we loose connections with friends we used to share our greatest secrets with, and our fondest memories are with them? Yet, this is what God’s word says:
1 To everything there is a season,
      A time for every purpose under heaven:
       2 A time to be born,
And a time to die;
      A time to plant,
And a time to pluck what is planted;
       3 A time to kill,
And a time to heal;
      A time to break down,
And a time to build up;
Ecclesiastes 3:1-3

I heard from an old friend yesterday. This friend and I have known each other most of our lives. We’re the same age separated by less than four months. Our parents coached our little league teams together. Her big sister is like my big sister. I love every member of her family. Anytime we meet up no matter how long it has been it is like we were never apart. 

We were a grade apart in school. With an entire grade and friends separating us we didn’t really get to spend that much time together until middle school and high school. (Ah, the awkward years followed by the ‘glory days’, when grades don’t separate you as much as school sports, clubs, and clicks do.) God blessed me with the company of this friend as we attended the same college as well as through our young adult lives. There have been times when we talked to each other a lot and other times when one or both of us has been hurt by the other. (God provides mercy and grace to us which allows us to show grace to those who have hurt us. All we have to do is ask!) I am sure we have both had times where we thought that we really need to check on the other.
I was so thrilled to hear from my friend yesterday in a supportive text message. Yep, she took time out of her busy day to send an encouragement to me. I don’t just mean she is busy with the ho-hum of every day life. My friend is in a ‘busy season’ of life as a second year teacher and an engaged woman. Still, she made time to support me. She mentioned she was visiting this blog. Thanks to her and all of my friends who stop by and read this. (Psst….you should leave a comment!) I am sure we all have friends in different seasons of life – joyful seasons, trying seasons, sad seasons, and unsure seasons. I bet more than one could use a shout out! Who can you love on and support today?

“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.” John 13:34

I am so thankful God provides us with friends. He hand picks people to come in and out of our lives. No matter how long my friend and I stay up to date on each other this time, I am so thankful God provided me with this unique friendship. Wonderful friends and every season of life – add those to the list of all that our amazing God provides!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Fridays

I follow several blogs, but there are only a handful I read daily including Rainmakers and Stormchasers, http://www.jennyrain.com/ . Jenny has a blog friend who does Five Minute Fridays where you write on a given topic for five minutes, post your writing unedited, and encourage others to do the same. Today’s topic was 'Remember'. Here's my unedited five minutes on 'Remember'...(What did you do on your lunch break?).... Remember...  I remember those times… with family and friends… Those long seemingly endless summer days at Memaw’s with my sister, brother, and cousins…I remember waiting on mom to come in for lunch…And those special days when Aunt Barb came too…Oh the days we spent at Aunt Barb’s…I remember loving… Then, there were those mornings before school where we all gathered around the breakfast table…Memaw always prepared a feast…we would argue over who’s turn it was to say the pray…but I remember all the other conversations were so good…I remember gett

Stay and See Jesus for Yourself

Recently during our Wednesday night women's class, we were listening to part of Priscilla Shirer's portion on the DVD series 'Unwrap the Bible'. We hadn't yet made it all the way through Priscilla's portion when I noticed myself writing these words in my notes, 'Stay and See Jesus for Yourself'. Now, I won't steal Priscilla's thunder or her great points. (I couldn't do it justice.) Let me just say, those words I wrote seemed to leap off the page at me: Stay and see Jesus for yourself. How often do I run ahead of God, too often! Still, at some point I seem to remember to come back to Him and ask for mercy, grace, and direction to walk His way instead of my own. How often do I hang back not willing to jump in to something He has for me? I think of a C.S. Lewis quote, 'There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.' I mean that's exactly what Paul tells us, right? For us to live is Christ and to di

Five Minute Fridays

It's time for Five Minute Fridays. No editing, no backtracking, and no over-thinking. Just writing for five minutes on a given topic. Join us. Today's Topic: Grit. Grit is the gumption not only to keep going when times are tough but to keep going with the determination that God knows what is best, and no matter what He will see you through this. The most important part of the endeavor is to realize not only is God leading you through your struggle, but He wants you to lead others, to set a Holy example, to love as Christ loves, and to come out stronger on the other side. Never resenting what you’ve gone through, but being thankful for the grit to keep going. Grit is more than continuing when others would stop. Grit isn’t walking blind or slowly moving through a valley. Grit is climbing towards the mountain top… Pulling others with you as you climb… Carrying more than your own load but that of your sisters’ and brothers’ in Christ... Grit is there when you physically,