Skip to main content

Would Your Ship Sink?




In a Wednesday night bible group I attend, we have been covering the Beth Moore study on Daniel. There have been so many wonderful tools and guidelines in this study, and I would fail miserably if I tried to cover them all here. (If you’re looking for a new study and haven’t done that one I recommend it!) Let me just share with you what we have covered recently.

Now, I don’t know about you, but when I hear ‘Daniel’ I always think of a lions den, and although that is a very good story that is not the only bible story Daniel is involved in. (I mean there is a whole book in the Bible named after Daniel. It’s in the old testament after Ezekiel before Hosea.)

In the last few lessons on Wednesday nights we have talked about Daniel interpreting King Nebuchadnezzar’s dreams and how Daniel had to have faith in God in order to successfully accomplish this task. Not accomplishing the task King Nebuchadnezzar gave was a life or death situation for Daniel.  Also, we have read about the night of Belshazzar’s feast where Belshazzar was basically mocking God with his actions at the feast especially by involving women and using ceremonial goblets from the Temple. Everything in the temple was holy and using these goblets for a feast like Belshazzar did was meant to insult God. In other words, holy things were being used in an unholy way.

Did you ready that last sentence? Let me retype it, so you will re-read it. ‘In other words, holy things were being used in an unholy way.’ I agree with our Wednesday night bible study leader at church that usually this story is used to promote sexual abstinence and is directed towards teenagers and young adults. Yes that is true, but I think there is a broader application needed than that! (Funny, how we like to always apply stories to others instead of ourselves, right?)

Being holy is not just about what we do or don’t do with our bodies. It’s about how we present our bodies. How we dress. How we care about our bodies based on how healthy or unhealthy we eat and how much we exercise. How we as Christians present ourselves, the attitude we have, how we promote our Earthly bodies, and how we encourage or discourage ourselves mentally all directly affect God. Do you know why? We are Christians which means we are Christ-like because Christ lives in us. Do you remember asking Christ into your life? Does the Holy Spirit live in you? If so, you are a holy vessel. 


You may not be a top luxury line cruise ship type vessel(hey even those ships sink if they don’t have a good captain - see the picture above!), but if the Holy Spirit lives in you than you are a holy vessel. You have the greatest captain of all – God. If you allow God into your heart, you are holy. Do you see yourself that way? Do you realize because the Holy Spirit lives in you, you are holy?

I hope you will visit tomorrow. I have already written tomorrow’s post. It talks about praying to God and having faith in Him to help achieve a more holy life. I hope you will come back and in the mean time think of all the ways we use holy things in unholy ways. Please, share your thoughts below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Fridays

I follow several blogs, but there are only a handful I read daily including Rainmakers and Stormchasers, http://www.jennyrain.com/ . Jenny has a blog friend who does Five Minute Fridays where you write on a given topic for five minutes, post your writing unedited, and encourage others to do the same. Today’s topic was 'Remember'. Here's my unedited five minutes on 'Remember'...(What did you do on your lunch break?).... Remember...  I remember those times… with family and friends… Those long seemingly endless summer days at Memaw’s with my sister, brother, and cousins…I remember waiting on mom to come in for lunch…And those special days when Aunt Barb came too…Oh the days we spent at Aunt Barb’s…I remember loving… Then, there were those mornings before school where we all gathered around the breakfast table…Memaw always prepared a feast…we would argue over who’s turn it was to say the pray…but I remember all the other conversations were so good…I remember gett

Stay and See Jesus for Yourself

Recently during our Wednesday night women's class, we were listening to part of Priscilla Shirer's portion on the DVD series 'Unwrap the Bible'. We hadn't yet made it all the way through Priscilla's portion when I noticed myself writing these words in my notes, 'Stay and See Jesus for Yourself'. Now, I won't steal Priscilla's thunder or her great points. (I couldn't do it justice.) Let me just say, those words I wrote seemed to leap off the page at me: Stay and see Jesus for yourself. How often do I run ahead of God, too often! Still, at some point I seem to remember to come back to Him and ask for mercy, grace, and direction to walk His way instead of my own. How often do I hang back not willing to jump in to something He has for me? I think of a C.S. Lewis quote, 'There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.' I mean that's exactly what Paul tells us, right? For us to live is Christ and to di

Five Minute Fridays

It's time for Five Minute Fridays. No editing, no backtracking, and no over-thinking. Just writing for five minutes on a given topic. Join us. Today's Topic: Grit. Grit is the gumption not only to keep going when times are tough but to keep going with the determination that God knows what is best, and no matter what He will see you through this. The most important part of the endeavor is to realize not only is God leading you through your struggle, but He wants you to lead others, to set a Holy example, to love as Christ loves, and to come out stronger on the other side. Never resenting what you’ve gone through, but being thankful for the grit to keep going. Grit is more than continuing when others would stop. Grit isn’t walking blind or slowly moving through a valley. Grit is climbing towards the mountain top… Pulling others with you as you climb… Carrying more than your own load but that of your sisters’ and brothers’ in Christ... Grit is there when you physically,