Skip to main content

Clothed in Righteousness...and Humility?



“Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” Colossians 3:12

Okay ya’ll… you haven’t seen a post as raw as this one yet… at least not recently. If you’re a glamourous girl who doesn’t run out to get milk or brownie mix without your make up done and every hair in place this post may make you queasy… If perhaps, you’re on the opposite end of the perspective and are a little more casual when it comes to your physical appearance please don’t leave yet either! Every woman is going to be able to relate to some portion in this tale...

I have not yet shared details about my life over the last 7 months as I took a break from blogging to decide if this was a me thing or a God thing (More on that in another post soon). I do want to share I AM recently, happily married. While there are so many wonderful stories I can’t wait to share with you, there is one that must be told now! (Plus, it fits right into this theme lately of how we 'clothe' ourselves.) Sit back…relax…and brace yourself…

Well, we had done it! It was sometime after 11pm and my new husband of almost 5 hours and I were driving toward our hotel for our wedding night. We just left my parents’ home where an event that will warm my heart for my entire lifetime –our wedding- had taken place thanks in no small part to a countless number of prayers and my amazing family and dear friends.
While I had prayed often to keep a peaceful heart and mind throughout the entire day and God had graciously given that to me in abundance, we were about half way between my parents’ home and our hotel when I had a sinking feeling. In the amazing conversation post-celebration with my dear sister & cousin…while gathering my girly things that had gotten so sporadically dispersed during the pre-wedding chore of getting ready…I hadn’t had the ability to completely focus. I had packed up my hairspray and several other girl necessities remembering my razor and shaving cream which I retrieved from the bathroom shower…I had laid out my wedding gown and veil and items that I didn’t not want to carry on the honeymoon in fear they would be displaced…Still, in all that I did not remember seeing my make-up carrier… Yes you read that correctly – my makeup!
I could not remember packing my makeup…. I had my suitcase for the week… my single overnight bag to carry into the hotel… I remembered all the items I left neatly in the bedroom at mom’s… but could not visualize my makeup bag post wedding. The last time I even remembered seeing it was in my cousin’s hand as she graciously applied my make up before the photographer arrived.
Thus began my radical lesson in humility… more to follow. Please come back!

What would you have done in this situation?! 
Tell your husband? Turn around? Call your mom? Figure it out tomorrow?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Fridays

I follow several blogs, but there are only a handful I read daily including Rainmakers and Stormchasers, http://www.jennyrain.com/ . Jenny has a blog friend who does Five Minute Fridays where you write on a given topic for five minutes, post your writing unedited, and encourage others to do the same. Today’s topic was 'Remember'. Here's my unedited five minutes on 'Remember'...(What did you do on your lunch break?).... Remember...  I remember those times… with family and friends… Those long seemingly endless summer days at Memaw’s with my sister, brother, and cousins…I remember waiting on mom to come in for lunch…And those special days when Aunt Barb came too…Oh the days we spent at Aunt Barb’s…I remember loving… Then, there were those mornings before school where we all gathered around the breakfast table…Memaw always prepared a feast…we would argue over who’s turn it was to say the pray…but I remember all the other conversations were so good…I remember gett

Stay and See Jesus for Yourself

Recently during our Wednesday night women's class, we were listening to part of Priscilla Shirer's portion on the DVD series 'Unwrap the Bible'. We hadn't yet made it all the way through Priscilla's portion when I noticed myself writing these words in my notes, 'Stay and See Jesus for Yourself'. Now, I won't steal Priscilla's thunder or her great points. (I couldn't do it justice.) Let me just say, those words I wrote seemed to leap off the page at me: Stay and see Jesus for yourself. How often do I run ahead of God, too often! Still, at some point I seem to remember to come back to Him and ask for mercy, grace, and direction to walk His way instead of my own. How often do I hang back not willing to jump in to something He has for me? I think of a C.S. Lewis quote, 'There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.' I mean that's exactly what Paul tells us, right? For us to live is Christ and to di

Five Minute Fridays

It's time for Five Minute Fridays. No editing, no backtracking, and no over-thinking. Just writing for five minutes on a given topic. Join us. Today's Topic: Grit. Grit is the gumption not only to keep going when times are tough but to keep going with the determination that God knows what is best, and no matter what He will see you through this. The most important part of the endeavor is to realize not only is God leading you through your struggle, but He wants you to lead others, to set a Holy example, to love as Christ loves, and to come out stronger on the other side. Never resenting what you’ve gone through, but being thankful for the grit to keep going. Grit is more than continuing when others would stop. Grit isn’t walking blind or slowly moving through a valley. Grit is climbing towards the mountain top… Pulling others with you as you climb… Carrying more than your own load but that of your sisters’ and brothers’ in Christ... Grit is there when you physically,