Skip to main content

As Unique as a Snowflake


Growing up in in Southern Middle Tennessee just a few miles from the Alabama state line, there is not a great chance for regular snow accumulation during the winter. In a way this made snow that much more appealing to me as child because  it seemed in a sense so very rare.

Of course for a child... what about snow isn't appealing? It is soft, fluffy, white, and portrays a majesty unlike other things. Then, there's the opportunity for school to be cancelled too!

Snow doesn't make many requirements on children. It doesn't make driving more hazardous as that's not yet a responsibility. Children don't consider that the heat could go out or pipes could burst. Snow for children is simply for enjoyment.

One of the first encounters I remember with snow, I was in the first grade. We had a very young, energetic teach named Miss Davis. I still remember Miss Davis's smile that took up her entire face, the fact that she seemed to love being at school even more than us, and best of all she was unique and creative. The K-12 school I grew up in was a small, public school. Although I didn't completely understand it then, I knew Miss Davis was different from a lot of the other teachers. Miss Davis had a way of doing things that made other adults look a second time and usually take a little while longer to agree to her antics. Usually, it seemed Miss Davis won out due to her exuberance. I can't help but believe that her smile helped a lot too.

Although the beginning of the day is not that memorable, I can distinctively remember an aide coming in to our classroom mid-morning and telling Miss Davis something privately which made her eyes get big. I remember her standing up immediately and going to the window. Then, she was digging around in her 'teacher' art supplies. A moment later she followed the aide who had just stepped out of the classroom, and I heard Miss Davis ask the aide if she could watch our class for just a moment. I was immediately concerned there was a problem with Miss Davis. Maybe her mom was sick? (Oh how little minds work.) Then, I remembered Miss Davis had looked excited as she glanced toward the window. I turned my head but was too short to see anything out of the window from my desk other than the roof of the cafeteria and a classroom trailer next door. Miss Davis walked out of the classroom, and the aid I thought sounded scary and seemed to love boys best was there with our class. I decided to keep my head down until Miss Davis returned.

A little while later we could hear other children in the hallway. Too many of them to be a single class going to music or gym. Miss Davis came in just then with a blue poster board - my favorite color and not just any blue, Hornet blue (our school color)!

Next thing I knew Miss Davis was telling us we were going outside for just a few minutes, but everyone had to wear ALL of their clothes including sweaters, jackets, and gloves even if they didn't like them or they were itchy. As we lined up Miss Davis said all the other kids would be very excited because it is snowing outside. She told us we could be excited but she wanted us to be quiet for she had a secret to share with us.

Once we made it outside, simply standing in the parking lot with so many other children, I realized it was colder than it had been on the bus that morning. I was looking but couldn't see the snow. I thought well it stopped and we won't get to see it. Then, Miss Davis had us all make a circle around her. In a loud whisper she asked if we were ready for the secret. She held out the blue poster board, and then we could see it... lots of different snowflakes! Tiny and sticking to the poster board like magnets, and there were so many different shapes and sizes. Miss Davis told us to be quiet and watch closely to see if we spotted any two that were the same.

What a way to learn uniqueness. Once we were back in the classroom, I remember Miss Davis telling us no two snowflakes were the same. As someone with a twin sister, this was such an amazing thing. As a child, it was so grand to not just take her word for it but know because I had seen it with my own eyes. Miss Davis told us we were all as unique as a snowflake.

As unique as a snowflake... wow. Did God have that in mind when he made snow? It is a beautiful illustration of God's creativity and power.

I hope this post encourages you. May you be excited by what makes you unique.

Check out other bloggers who have joined Holly Gerth in a weekly link up to share 'Coffee for You Heart'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Fridays

I follow several blogs, but there are only a handful I read daily including Rainmakers and Stormchasers, http://www.jennyrain.com/ . Jenny has a blog friend who does Five Minute Fridays where you write on a given topic for five minutes, post your writing unedited, and encourage others to do the same. Today’s topic was 'Remember'. Here's my unedited five minutes on 'Remember'...(What did you do on your lunch break?).... Remember...  I remember those times… with family and friends… Those long seemingly endless summer days at Memaw’s with my sister, brother, and cousins…I remember waiting on mom to come in for lunch…And those special days when Aunt Barb came too…Oh the days we spent at Aunt Barb’s…I remember loving… Then, there were those mornings before school where we all gathered around the breakfast table…Memaw always prepared a feast…we would argue over who’s turn it was to say the pray…but I remember all the other conversations were so good…I remember gett

Stay and See Jesus for Yourself

Recently during our Wednesday night women's class, we were listening to part of Priscilla Shirer's portion on the DVD series 'Unwrap the Bible'. We hadn't yet made it all the way through Priscilla's portion when I noticed myself writing these words in my notes, 'Stay and See Jesus for Yourself'. Now, I won't steal Priscilla's thunder or her great points. (I couldn't do it justice.) Let me just say, those words I wrote seemed to leap off the page at me: Stay and see Jesus for yourself. How often do I run ahead of God, too often! Still, at some point I seem to remember to come back to Him and ask for mercy, grace, and direction to walk His way instead of my own. How often do I hang back not willing to jump in to something He has for me? I think of a C.S. Lewis quote, 'There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.' I mean that's exactly what Paul tells us, right? For us to live is Christ and to di

Five Minute Fridays

It's time for Five Minute Fridays. No editing, no backtracking, and no over-thinking. Just writing for five minutes on a given topic. Join us. Today's Topic: Grit. Grit is the gumption not only to keep going when times are tough but to keep going with the determination that God knows what is best, and no matter what He will see you through this. The most important part of the endeavor is to realize not only is God leading you through your struggle, but He wants you to lead others, to set a Holy example, to love as Christ loves, and to come out stronger on the other side. Never resenting what you’ve gone through, but being thankful for the grit to keep going. Grit is more than continuing when others would stop. Grit isn’t walking blind or slowly moving through a valley. Grit is climbing towards the mountain top… Pulling others with you as you climb… Carrying more than your own load but that of your sisters’ and brothers’ in Christ... Grit is there when you physically,