Skip to main content

Questions & Voices

As I have struggled with PCOS, insomnia, chronic fatigue, and weight gain, I spent a lot of time condemning myself.
I’d chastise myself when I was so tired I had to sleep in my car during lunch.
I’d criticize myself the days I didn’t make a significant work out happen.
I began curating this environment of dissidence as I began believing my inner self critic more and more and not in a self-development way but in an unfavorable, un-survivable way.

I had handed the microphone to my inner critic and allowed that critic to squash my self-confidence and destroy my development. I became unable to deny the lies of that critic and the Devil built on my weakness.

As I broke down more and more, God persistently encouraged me to talk to someone. I struggled to share this specific weakness because there were so many unknowns. When I did begin to share with others all types of questions always arose before I could finish sharing:
“What causes PCOS?”
“Can’t you take some kind of medicine?”
“Why don’t you just stay up even though you’re tired? Then when you do go to bed you’ll be able to sleep.”
“What do you mean you’re tired when you wake up?”
“Are you making exercise a priority? You’ll sleep better if you’re exhausted.”
“Are you just stressed?”
“Do you eat well?”
“Do you prioritize what you choose to spend time doing?”
 “Have you seen a doctor?”
“Have you talked to someone?”
“You don’t look sick.”

I finally realized my Heavenly Father wanted me to accept the fact that I needed true help. I have shared before I began seeing a Christian therapist (Read more about that here).
It was during the VERY beginning of therapy that I learned something so important!! Please allow me to share: just like I gave my inner critic the power to speak so loudly, I also have the power to turn that voice down.
Wait!!...
....What?!

You know the Bible teaches us this.
“Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.”
Philippians 4:8
We choose what and where our thoughts dwell.
“Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.” Proverbs 4:23
We must guard our heart even in the times we are simply guarding our hearts against our very own flesh.
“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.” 1 John 4:1

May we not be burdened with the anguish questions bring. 
May we hear God’s voice and allow Him to give us mercy, grace, and peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tired - Competition

That was it. I was tired.
Not the tired where I will sleep well because my rest was well earned. Not the tired where you’re groggy and just need extra sleep. The restless tired. The dangerous tired. The ‘I am done with this!’ tired. Why? I was tired of competing with multiple screens: a TV, an ipad, 2 phones. Tired of competing with every professional and college sport broadcast – with the exception of women’s sports because we don’t get those on our TV. Tired of competing with presidential news and daily “to do” list that have more weight than US (as a couple). Tired of there always being one more chore before that project I want to get to can be started. Tired of the same ol' same.
In the end I was just tired.
Tired of a world where we have to compete for a loved one’s attention. Tired of competing with society’s mandates. Tired of being a slave to fashion and trends. Tired of competing with society’s warp version of pretty. Tired of competing with a supermodel’s body image.
Mostly, I am tired …

Lines in the Sand

We draw these imaginary lines in the sand… Then, the tide comes and we wonder why we must start again… We build our castle of sand and hope it stands… Then, the tide comes and we are displeased we must build again… We make our own plans as we dream on the shore, Then, the sun sets and we wish for more.
We wish for more time to enjoy the day. We wish our lines in the sand would stay. We wish our castles could be bigger and stronger. We wish our plans would happen now and not take any longer.
We draw these imaginary lines in the sand… Then, the tide comes and we wonder why we must start again… We build our castle of sand again… Then, the tide comes and we are displeased we must build again… We make our own plans as we dream on the shore Then, the sun sets and we wish for more.
We rise the next day and do all of this again.
We work to maintain, a new way we never entertain. We start each day as a new beginning. Always wishing for a new ending.
Yet, we continue to draw our lines in the sand. We build our temp…