Skip to main content

Remember



Remember how the very first day of school that building seemed so big....
Remember how it felt like a whole new world...
Remember how old the 'big' kids were...
Now, remember in middle school how much courage it took to walk down the hallway some days... or pass by a certain group of people... how much you wanted to appear 'normal' or 'cool'...

Remember how in high school there was so much fear in the unknown... fear in not knowing what you wanted to do 'after high school'; fear in not knowing if you'd be invited to hang out after school or go to a party...

Remember how in college everyone had an opinion on you and what your goals and dreams should be, what would be a good fit for you, or at the very least people told you that you should have some idea of what you were going to be...
I remember trying to learn who I was... forget what I wanted to be....
As I learned who I was ... I also learned everyone has opinions on that too...

Remember? Of course I do. First off, how could I forget? Then, if I could forget... The part no one told me... Is I still have those moments every day in my adult life...

I have grown some since kindergarten... so buildings don't seem as big as they once did. As a matter of fact the world doesn't seem as big as I imagined when I was young. Still, there are places I've not been... and places I go that seem like a whole new world... There are older, wiser adults just like there were 'big kids' when I was young. There are those who make going where I have to go every day hard. There are people I don't know what to expect from and make me feel unsure of myself... There are still groups I want to present my best self in front of...

There are still people who have an opinion they're never afraid to share with me on how I should do this and that.... What my goals should be .... what career, job, diet, gym, church, neighborhood would be a good fit for me...

Oh, and my very favorite are there are still those who share their ideas and expectations of what my life and I should be.

I don't really have to remember time in my past when I was trying to learn who I was... I still wonder what I want to be....

I learn who I am one day ... The next day I realize I am changing...

This most freeing times in my life even as an adult are those moments when I remember where I am, who I am with, what I do, and even who I am matters little in comparison to the most important thing. What's most important? Remembering to whom I belong.

I belong to Jesus.

Who I am is His.

What I am is the daughter of the King. 

What I am doing is living to bring honor ad glory to Him.

Who I am with is the Holy Spirit.

Where I am is exactly where Jesus has been.

Only I don't have to die to be set free. Jesus already died for me.

He died that I may have life more abundantly, so today I am going to live.

I'm not worried with where I am, who I am with, what I do, or even who I am... because I belong to Him.

May we all live each day knowing we were made by the Creator of the heavens and the earth...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Fridays

I follow several blogs, but there are only a handful I read daily including Rainmakers and Stormchasers, http://www.jennyrain.com/ . Jenny has a blog friend who does Five Minute Fridays where you write on a given topic for five minutes, post your writing unedited, and encourage others to do the same. Today’s topic was 'Remember'. Here's my unedited five minutes on 'Remember'...(What did you do on your lunch break?).... Remember...  I remember those times… with family and friends… Those long seemingly endless summer days at Memaw’s with my sister, brother, and cousins…I remember waiting on mom to come in for lunch…And those special days when Aunt Barb came too…Oh the days we spent at Aunt Barb’s…I remember loving… Then, there were those mornings before school where we all gathered around the breakfast table…Memaw always prepared a feast…we would argue over who’s turn it was to say the pray…but I remember all the other conversations were so good…I remember gett

Stay and See Jesus for Yourself

Recently during our Wednesday night women's class, we were listening to part of Priscilla Shirer's portion on the DVD series 'Unwrap the Bible'. We hadn't yet made it all the way through Priscilla's portion when I noticed myself writing these words in my notes, 'Stay and See Jesus for Yourself'. Now, I won't steal Priscilla's thunder or her great points. (I couldn't do it justice.) Let me just say, those words I wrote seemed to leap off the page at me: Stay and see Jesus for yourself. How often do I run ahead of God, too often! Still, at some point I seem to remember to come back to Him and ask for mercy, grace, and direction to walk His way instead of my own. How often do I hang back not willing to jump in to something He has for me? I think of a C.S. Lewis quote, 'There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.' I mean that's exactly what Paul tells us, right? For us to live is Christ and to di

Five Minute Fridays

It's time for Five Minute Fridays. No editing, no backtracking, and no over-thinking. Just writing for five minutes on a given topic. Join us. Today's Topic: Grit. Grit is the gumption not only to keep going when times are tough but to keep going with the determination that God knows what is best, and no matter what He will see you through this. The most important part of the endeavor is to realize not only is God leading you through your struggle, but He wants you to lead others, to set a Holy example, to love as Christ loves, and to come out stronger on the other side. Never resenting what you’ve gone through, but being thankful for the grit to keep going. Grit is more than continuing when others would stop. Grit isn’t walking blind or slowly moving through a valley. Grit is climbing towards the mountain top… Pulling others with you as you climb… Carrying more than your own load but that of your sisters’ and brothers’ in Christ... Grit is there when you physically,